Univest Grand Prix 2002

Univest Grand Prix 2002
Recieving Univest Grand Prix 2002 Best local Rider award

VeloViewer Strava signature image

Strava Latest Rides

Tuesday, April 22, 2003

Meeting my Room Mates

I feel great, my first few days here in Belgium have gone terrific. I left Reading, Pennsylvania Thursday afternoon and arrived in Belgium Friday morning. My flight over and train ride to Gent went so smooth I really didn’t notice I was traveling. My teammate and friend Brian Fagin has really helped me out and I cannot thank him enough. Not only did he get me onto the Royal Antwerp team but also he found me a place to live here in Gent. I would just like to thank Brian and his wife Miska again for helping me because without them my trip would have been a nightmare to plan. Thanks to them my trip has just gone unbelievable smooth. Brian met me at the train station and in the afternoon we met Miska to remember old times and enjoy a sunny day in Gent. In the evening Brian and Miska introduced me to my hosts that I hope to live with for the next few months. My hosts Ruben and Rein are so nice and wonderful. They have really shown me great hospitality and made me feel right at home. They have started teaching me how to communicate in Dutch. I hope I pick it up quickly. Already I am not sure how I could ever thank them enough. Ruben and Rein’s home was built in the 1890’s and they are working on renovating it. The house is very modern and nice, located in a nice neighborhood with some good shops near by. My room looks out to the street and allows wonderful sunlight in, waking me up each day for a great day of training. I have packed a lot into the first four days and they have gone very fast. Saturday, Ruben and Rein showed me around town and then we celebrated Rein’s Birthday with their friends. It was a great time consisting of cart racing, swimming and a barbq. Their friends were so nice and were able to talk to me in English and also teach me a little Dutch allowing me to practice listening. My ears need to adjust to the new sounds. Sunday, I met my team Antwerp Gold Cycling Club and they were very motivated to have me on the team. Everything is rolling smoothly with the team and I cannot wait to do the first team race next Saturday. Monday, I raced my first kermesse in Waarschoot a 110 km pounding by the Belgians quickly refreshed me as to why I am here. I am here to become tough and race harder and more often than ever could be possible anywhere else’s. I did manage to come in 24th in my first kermesse of the season but it hurt so much. The local John Saey racing team with their big hitters Mario Willems the East Flanders Champion and Patrick Conqouret crushed me. I cannot wait to start the rhythm of racing and resting. Thanks for the support

No comments: