Univest Grand Prix 2002

Univest Grand Prix 2002
Recieving Univest Grand Prix 2002 Best local Rider award

VeloViewer Strava signature image

Strava Latest Rides

Monday, April 28, 2003

First Interclube races in Flanders Mountains

Time has flown by once again, I can’t believe I have been in Belgium for more than a week. Everything is well, I still feel very lucky to be living with Ruben and Rein; they have been very nice and supportive, coming to my races when they have time. The Belgian weather has also realized I am here, greeting me with a downpour during Sunday’s race. I have raced twice since my last entry both with about 180 starters and Gordon McCauley coming in second. Gordon is a very strong rider and some how always forces the final move. Sundays race was an invitation only kermesse so it was a very big, racing us over some of the Tour of Flanders climbs. First we went up the Berendries with cartoon pictures of a few professional riders at the bottom. The steep grade of the Berendries just seemed to keep coming, making it a great climb. The race then went up a no cobbled climb of the Muur de Gramont; it was also long and steep. The Bosberg quickly followed the Muur. The Bosberg is a lot harder than it looks on TV. The wet cobbles forced the riders to sit and power the Bosberg because if you stood up you were not getting up the climb. The race finished around 10 km circuit that was very tough consisting of many tight turns and a down hill cobbled road that really broke things up. I felt good the whole race but just didn’t seem to have the power to be there for the finish but I know that will come with some more racing. Racing with my Royal Antwerp team was very professional. I know I will have to perform with support like this. Thursday May 1st is my next team race, a 1.5 UCI event in Hoboken near Antwerp. Please everyone keep in touch.

No comments: