Univest Grand Prix 2002

Univest Grand Prix 2002
Recieving Univest Grand Prix 2002 Best local Rider award

VeloViewer Strava signature image

Strava Latest Rides

Wednesday, September 17, 2003

Scott Zwizanski learns some Flemish

Belgium Diary, one entry for the whole thing.

Let me just start by saying John Delong is a super nice guy. He showed me the ropes, what to do, who to follow and all things that were needed to race successfully. I was here for just two weeks, not a super long time but I learned a lot and hope to maybe race in Belgium for a longer period of time in the future. The racing went very well, until my last planned race when my frame couldn’t hang with the rough concrete roads over here and cracked on the down tube. Luckily I stopped racing before the frame failed and I was able to ride home on it from the race. John is so well prepared for guests that he even has spare bikes for us to use when ours break. What a guy. I got to ride a Team Issue Cannondale CAAD 5 for my final three days in Belgium. Well I am not going to give you play by play of my races, I did well and finished in the top 12 in four out of five of the races I did. Most of the time I spent here I was being a typical bike racer, training, sleeping, eating and doing some good resting. To finish this up I think that I might just list out some Belgian food that I had here during my brief stay.

Pita’s, just kidding, but I did eat some.
Frits with mayo, sounds gross, but you should try it.
Warm waffle, mmm mmm good. They serve it like a soft pretzel.
Frits with curry ketchup.
Beer, that’s right beer. Did you know that Belgium has great beer? Well they do. Nuff said.
Frits with mayo.

Not a real good variety there but I hit all the important ones. Later, eh.

No comments: