Univest Grand Prix 2002

Univest Grand Prix 2002
Recieving Univest Grand Prix 2002 Best local Rider award

VeloViewer Strava signature image

Strava Latest Rides

Wednesday, September 10, 2003

Adam Steelman Junior eye Opener

Hi, my name is Adam Steelman and I have been staying with John for the last two weeks. The training here has not been so hard but I have been putting a lot of miles in. The amount of what I have learned in these two weeks is amazing even with me having only raced twice. Belgium is full of roads to train on and races to kill your self in. The races are fast and on some really fun and exciting roads. Back home Junior races may only have about 12 on a local level and maybe 60 on a national level, however here just a small Junior race will have at least 70 to 90 starters. The races are always fast and “sitting in” is never easy to do. My first race I learned a lot about being smart about how much energy I put out in the early part of the race, I went in a early move and pushed the breaks speed and when we got swept up I had nothing left and was dropped. The next day I was not so happy about racing again and was ready to pack it in but John’s friend Brian gave me a ride to a junior race and I did much better. I stayed at the front and attacked twice but only at 80% and it never got me away so I sat at the front and waited. On the last lap of my race I took the inside of the course and went much faster in the corners then the racers here do and that gave me a nice spot in the top ten at the last corner, I got 12th in the sprint. I can’t thank John enough for giving me this chance to find a path for what I want to do with cycling. I’m not sure still what I am going to try and do with the sport but this trip has really opened my eyes.

No comments: