Univest Grand Prix 2002

Univest Grand Prix 2002
Recieving Univest Grand Prix 2002 Best local Rider award

VeloViewer Strava signature image

Strava Latest Rides

Saturday, August 2, 2003

Pickle Canned Belgium

Hello, I am Dan “Pickle” Bonora from the Reading and Lehigh Valley area in Pennsylvania. I am a cat 3 rider in the states and a semi-pro XC Mt Biker. I am currently visiting John in Belgium; unfortunately I am approaching the end of my three-week stay. My time here has been an excellent experience in more ways than one. I came to Belgium to race and visit John. I wanted to experience the best amateur racing in the world and learn what it takes to become better. Of course coming to Europe for such a short visit to race is hard because there are so many distractions. It is the first time I have left the continent and the culture, sights, and the style of racing have easily distracted me. The Kermesse’s are usually a 120 K long (15 laps) and last about 2 hours and 45 minutes. The field tends to split by the start of the second lap as the Belgium’s put it in their 53 x12 and hammer out of every turn after they just finished breaking harder than ever going into it. Personally they can’t corner or climb. Climbing I can understand because there are no hills here. The way they muscle that 12 out of a 90 degree turn is almost frightening they don’t have the snap of a US criterium rider, rather this long slow acceleration up to 35 mph or more, and they just hold it for the entire race except for in the turns. Not to mention these races are taking place on cement roads barely wide enough for one car much less a pack of 70 plus riders launching attack after attack…no double yellow line rule. The Belgium’s are also known for chopping wheels so you must ride with extra caution and defense. The towns and atmosphere at the race are amazing. Small little towns in the middle of nowhere playing music and drinking beer in smoked filled pubs that we must register in. Although I am suffering greatly on the bike during the races I feel I will benefit greatly from the experience and look forward to racing in the states again soon. The learning curve for adjusting to the style of racing is normally about 3 to 4 weeks or 10 races I am approaching both of those marks stilling hoping to make it the distance with out being pulled or popped. Wish me luck!!!

No comments: