Univest Grand Prix 2002

Univest Grand Prix 2002
Recieving Univest Grand Prix 2002 Best local Rider award

VeloViewer Strava signature image

Strava Latest Rides

Sunday, April 1, 2007

Kirkwood Road Race Report By Joe

today was the Kirkwood road race and Alliance fielded a small team of three guys; myself, Karl, and Jame. It was a relatively small field of probably 65 guys and the race was about 85 miles. So far, this has been by far the hardest race I've done all year. Although the field was small there were some high quality guys such as Scott Z from Priority Health Pro and numerous guys from Rite-Aid Pro.
The gun went off and within the first mile Jame was gone with a small group.
little did we know that that was the end of the race right there. Jame stayed away the entire day and was able to beat out his one and only competitor in an easy sprint finish. Because of the race conditions(mainly cool and windy) the field was torn apart. I actually found myself straggling behind the field only two laps into it having to chase back on for a mile or two. There were also a million attacks making people just completely suffer.
Everytime I saw Stephan or Scott attacked, I had a small feeling of hatred for them because I knew that this was going to be the hardest 20 seconds of my life trying to hold onto their wheels.
With 2 laps to go, the field had relaxed for just a bit as a small chase group had formed up the road from the previous few laps. I wanted up there so I tried a few attacks myself, but ended up dragging the whole field with me, until my final attack up a small hill in which everyone let me go. It took me about 5-6 miles to finally catch the chase group of about 7-8 guys.
By this time Jame and one other dude had a good lead. Scott Z then threw in yet another attack and blew up the chase group even more. There were only 4 of us coming into the finish(one guy got away and took 3rd because we were all playing games) where I easily took the sprint from Scott to take 4th.
Alliance domination with few numbers-how sweet.

No comments: