Univest Grand Prix 2002

Univest Grand Prix 2002
Recieving Univest Grand Prix 2002 Best local Rider award

VeloViewer Strava signature image

Strava Latest Rides

Monday, April 2, 2007

Dirty Dawg MTB Race Report

Dirty Dawg Mountain Bike Race Mountain Lake, Virginia
April 1 2007

After missing registration it into the Tour of Walkersville race because I was in Belize I decided to stay in Blacksburg and train. When I realized it was going to rain all weekend and my power tap was still getting a rim put on it I started to think about what kind of training I could do to make it fun and then I realized that their was the Dirty Dawg mountain bike race in town.

To convince myself to attempt the mountain bike race I talked to local mountain biking blogger, friend and workmate Ashwin about the course. He assured me it wasn’t to rocky and I shouldn’t have a problem with my lack of technical riding skills. My girlfriend Missy was not so pleased and told me I was going to hurt myself bad and waste all the training I have been doing for this up coming season.

As the Rabbit crested the top of Mountain Lake I was committed to participating even though I was having regrets. The weather on top of the mountain was foggy but not as rainy as it had been back in Blacksburg. The course started in front of the Mountain Lake lodge and went up a fire road and then looped back to the Mountain Lake lodge where the finish would be. I took it easy off the starting line and then was forced to use my road skills to squeeze through none existent gaps in-between riders that were blocking my way. I caught my Friend from west Virginia University Geff Moy and told him I was going to follow him through the technical sections because I have not Mt bike skills and need to follow some on more experienced to make it through the rocky sections. Geff and I swapped spot for the first half the race until I realized we were doing mostly smooth trail for the first half a lap and then I took off with my road power. The course reentered the woods and down the mountain we went. It was steep and rocky at parts and I got out of the way of the faster riders. Geff passed me and told me to float and 100 meters later he got a flat. I finished the lap by catching some riders with better technical skills then me because of the long up hill.. I then gave it the gas for the smooth sections at the beginning of the lap but was forced to creep down the decent since I was all alone at this point. Two riders I had passed at the beginning of the lap shot passed and I didn’t see them till I finished.

I was pleased with my mountain bike race since I didn’t crash or hurt myself. I rode very strong on all the Open Sections. Another road rider Jon Hamblen attended the race but I didn’t recognize him until after ward mostly because he took the hole shot and kept on going to win the race by 5 min.

2 comments:

Ashwin Amanna said...

Mountain Biking is like having kids, it creates selective memory.

It's never rocky, the downhills are smooth, and there is no climbing.

doubleB said...

John, Thanks for coming out and racing with us - Roadies are always welcome at our races - I love to kid you guys - and wish I had the power to race roads myself. Good job man and I hope you come out for Rowdy Dawg October 21st. Get Ashwin to help you polish up your tecnical skills he is the man.
Ben
DD & RD Race Director