Univest Grand Prix 2002

Univest Grand Prix 2002
Recieving Univest Grand Prix 2002 Best local Rider award

VeloViewer Strava signature image

Strava Latest Rides

Monday, June 2, 2003

Fallin Down and a Broken Collar Bone

It has been four days since I broke my collarbone. It is very hard not being active like normal. The pain is not that great any more and the road rash is healing quickly. On Wednesday I see the doctor again to get my harness adjusted and a real prediction for when i can be back on the bike. I am hoping to be training outside in about 2 weeks. My parents are arriving in a little over a week so it will be good to see the family.
This all happened last Thursday the 29th at Hasselt Spa Hasselt a very good race. I had been near the front of the race for most of the day when I came into the feed zone at 120 km of the 166 km race. People were doing strange things in the feed zone this day I think it may have been because of the heat. I left a big gap between my teammate and I so we both could get our bags. I spotted our team soungier just as he was passing the muset to my teammate. Tom our soungier watched my teammate ride off and didn’t look down the road for me so I shouted his name. To pass the bags the soungier is supposed to hold the bags in his right hand high in the air so we can grab the sting where we need to while at high speed. Tom still had all the bags in his left hand while I was coming and he quickly switched one from left to right and it was swinging right for my front wheel or handle bars I though my only hope was to grab the bag and lift it up so it would miss. I was not fast enough and ended up on my head and shoulder breaking my collarbone and looking very stupid. This is the first bone I have ever broken so it is very an unknown recovery for me I hope it goes smoothly. so far it has been boring. I do not like sitting around and doing nothing. I hope I will be back racing soon.

No comments: