Univest Grand Prix 2002

Univest Grand Prix 2002
Recieving Univest Grand Prix 2002 Best local Rider award

VeloViewer Strava signature image

Strava Latest Rides

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Short's Report Tour of Belize Stage 5

Tour of Belize: Stage 5

Well, this morning was the hardest of all, in terms of waking up. Same old thing, up at 3:45, down to breakfast, get dressed and head to the 6 am start. They only thing that was different was that at the breakfast table two words were barely spoken. I think that we spent a little too much time at Caye Caulker Island in the Caribbean yesterday afternoon. We had lunch, swam in the crystal clear water, and just laid around and relaxed. Now we are feeling the effects.

Today’s stage was 50 miles. The course was the same as yesterday for the first 12 miles. Then we turned onto the TT course and did another 13 miles and turned around and came back. The good part about this was that we did the same finish stretch yesterday. I know the finish!

We decided as a team that we are tired of towing everyone around all day. Joe, Mike and John stayed near the back for most the day to stay out of trouble. Mike and Joe came to the front a few times to stretch their legs and cover a couple of moves. Boyd, again riding like he does this for a living rode near the front and got away in a couple of moves. Chris floated around the pack making sure everyone was ok. I stayed near the back for the first half nursing my broken toe and destroyed toe nail. My legs felt the worse today out of all stages.

As we hit the turn around a break got away and I think that everyone was waiting for the Alliance train to hit the front. We refused! I had guys coming up to me asking if we would help with the chase. I had one word, NO. We needed our GC guys to stay fresh for the TT tomorrow. Besides, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are going to be really hard and decide the race.

The run into town from about 5 miles out was as crazy as ever. After all, we have been controlling this the last several days, now its complete chaos. I’ve been a little disappointed with my finishes so I moved up into the middle of the battle zone. I don’t think that I’ve thrown this many hooks since the last time I went fishing. Guys are bumping and bouncing off each other at 35+ mph. 2k out there was still a small break up the road. At this point Sun Digital got organized and started to chase, finally they look like a team. I’m moving up the right side of the group and with 1k out I’m sitting about 15th wheel. I look to my right and Ryan Dewald tries to make a move but he’s not on the road. He flats. J At this point we are going 40mph and things are really getting dicey. We catch the break about 700m from the line. Most the group goes left but a few had to stay right, including me. As we passed the break I could see the big yellow inflatable banner which covers the finish line. I swing left to try and find some resemblance of a draft. Too late. I have to go. I start my sprint from about 7 back. There are 4 guys who have a small gap. With my head down, bike being thrown side to side like I am mad at it (I usually sprint sitting down) I somehow make it to those guys and get Frank Trevisio (AEG/Toshiba) by half a wheel for 4th place.

Tomorrow is the individual TT. John, Mike, Boyd, and Joe need to go as fast as possible. Chris and I are going to just go out and ride a hard tempo. Again, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are going to be the hardest days. The promoter has been putting us up in a hotel here in Belize City which we are very appreciative of. But Saturday and Sunday are too far away. So we decided to put our prize money together and get a room by the western border where those stages start. I’m not sure if I am going to get internet access there. You may have to wait until Sunday night to hear how those stages go. The suspense will be good.

Hope you enjoyed this stage. I’m going back to bed.

And oh, Happy Valentines Day J

Just wanted to give everyone a quick update. Joe is now in the white leaders jersey. This is for the top 23 and under rider. That's two jersey's that the team currently holds.

On another note. These guys here cheat like a 3rd grader on a test that they didn't study for, I know, I did this. BASTARDS!! They have been trying to screw us every single day out of something. Good thing that we brought the best lawyer in the state of Texas with us. Randy has them eating out of his hands. Of course they are still going to try and screw us over.

One more thing. I think that I just broke my big toe on my right foot. I was walking to the store to get some wine for Randy and stubbed my toe on a curb. My toenail bent all the way back. I actually had to reach down and push it back down to stop the bleeding. Good thing that we are sitting in tomorrow.


I encourage each of you to go to http://www.tourofbelize.com/ and go to the radio link. Listen to the stage tomorrow morning. We are going for the win.

We just found out that our 2nd place in the TT has put John into 4th overall and Joe in 10th. The remaining riders have moved into 16th, 17th, 18th, and 19th places. They also have a jersey for the top rider who is 38+. Mike is now that rider. We finally have a jersey and are getting closer to a final podium spot. The race isn't over by any means, but things are starting to go our way.

The race starts at 6am central time. I'm not sure if they have the entire stage. Tomorrow will be short, 50 miles in 1.5 hours.

No comments: